Let there be light!






The work of Radio Lilanguka is supported by SIM Malawi project  MW#96852 Yao Ministry Support

Radio Lilanguka is a new Community Radio Station which was established at Mangochi and officially launched at a ceremony on Friday 2 March 2018.  Its catchment area covers Mangochi District, as well surrounding districts such as Machinga, Balaka, Ntcheu, Dedza and Salima

Sign of blessing?: A ‘halo’ above the transmission tower of Radio Lilanguka on the day it was officially launched

The Station, which is operated by Operation Mobilization (OM - Mulumikiza), was awarded a broadcasting license by Malawi Communications Regulators Authority (MACRA) in October 2016, and started broadcasting programmes on 27 November 2017.

In addition to OM, other mission organisations, such as SIM Malawi—on whose land Radio Lilanguka is based—Liebenzell Mission from Germany and ARB Media which provides technical help.

 John Wells from SIM Malawi, said: “It is a great honour to be involved with this opening ceremony. It has taken a lot of hard work by OM and its partners to get to this point. We wish them well in their venture, and pray that many people in the area Radio Lilanguka serves will hear God’s Word and come to faith through the faithful work of the team here.”

The Guest of Honour at the opening ceremony, Matilda Bande MACRA Broadcasting Services Manager, said: “I would like to congratulate Radio Lilanguka for the official launch of the station.

“Radio remains the major form of communication for most Malawians with above 60 per cent of households in Malawi reporting having a radio set against 11% who have TV sets. The penetration of radio has been further enhanced by the expansion of mobile-phone technology making radio the most accessible medium of communication in Malawi

“This is so because radio sees no illiteracy; it is immediate and is capable of reaching even the worst of geographical terrains.

“It is pleasing to note that Lilanguka is not only offering employment to young people but is also new expertise, an outlet for their talent and, most of all, is offering them hope for the future.”

Some 70 per cent of Radio Lilanguka’s output is in Chiyao, the language widely spoken by the people of the Mangochi area, with English and Chichewa making up the other 30 percent.

“Our Mission is to bring light to Mangochi District through broadcasts, mainly in the Yao language, that provide education, entertainment, news and spiritual programmes to point to God as our ultimate source of light,” said Paul Kranzler, Project Manager for Radio Lilanguka.

“The dream behind this station has been pursued by a number of missionaries over the years, and it is very exciting to have the radio station unveiled at last.”

Bill England, from KFM Radio in Canada, said: “We just want to say a big congratulations on the new Christian Radio Station!  Radio Lilanguka, will be used by the Lord to touch countless lives, and lift up high the name of Jesus! Radio is perhaps one of the most powerful tools we have to reach out to people right when they need a touch from the Lord. Radio has incredible ability to reach people exactly at the right time, and soon testimonies will come pouring into the station of lives touched and changed!”